Try These Summery Concoctions, With or Without Alcohol, at Your Next Gathering
- CategoryEat & Drink
- Produced byKara Mickelson
- Photographed byShane O’Donnell
Mellow Melon “Mockarita”
- ½ Kiss Limon melon, or honeydew, peeled, cubed and seeded (if not using a Kiss Limon melon, add an extra lime to the recipe)
- 3 to 4 whole Meyer lemons, juiced and deseeded
- 8 whole limes (6 juiced and deseeded, 2 cut into wedges)
- kosher salt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Meyer Lemon Simple Syrup, approximately 1 tablespoon per drink (see recipe, this page)
- 6 to 8 ounces Ritual Zero Proof Tequila Alternative, or Seedlip Grove 42 Citrus
- 4 to 5 ounces Lime & Yuzu tonic water
- 1 small jalapeno, thinly sliced
- fresh marjoram sprigs for garnish
Puree melon in blender or food processor on high speed. Add Meyer lemon juice and lime juice. Stir in a pinch of salt. Melon base can be made 1 day in advance. Cover and refrigerate.
Before serving, rub the rim of each glass with a lime wedge and dip the glass into salt to coat. Rub the inside of each glass with a lime wedge. To each glass, add 1 tablespoon Meyer Lemon Simple Syrup, 5 ounces melon base and 1½ to 2 ounces nonalcoholic booze. Pour 1 ounce Lime & Yuzu tonic water on top. Add 2 slices jalapeno and a sprig of marjoram. Garnish with lime and serve with extra lime wedges on the side.
Meyer Lemon Simple Syrup
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 small Meyer lemons, sliced
- 2 fresh bay leaves
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepot. Stir and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until sugar is dissolved. Cover and let steep for 15 to 20 minutes off heat. Cool and store covered in refrigerator. Can be made 3 days in advance.
Strawberry Blonde Kiwi Mocktail
- 12 large golden kiwis (extra if they are small)
- 1 Meyer lemon, juiced and deseeded
- 6 to 8 ounces Ritual Zero Proof Tequila Alternative or Seedlip Grove 42 Citrus
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Berry Simple Syrup, approximately 1 tablespoon per drink (see recipe, this page)
- 8 ounces lemon elderflower soda
- sliced strawberries and fresh bay leaves for garnish
Cut kiwis in half, reserving 1 of the halves for garnish. Cut that half into 4 slices. Scoop out fruit and puree in blender or food processor. Kiwis can be strained to remove seeds (or leave in). Blend in Meyer lemon juice. Kiwi base can be made 1 day in advance. Cover and refrigerate.
To each glass, add 1 slice kiwi. Then add 3 to 4 ounces kiwi base and 1½ to 2 ounces nonalcoholic booze. Stir to combine. Add ice and top with 1 tablespoon Berry Simple Syrup and 2 ounces (or more) lemon elderflower soda. Top with a sliced strawberry and bay leaf garnish before serving.
Berry Simple Syrup
- ½ cup fresh strawberries
- ¼ cup fresh golden berries, pierced with a knife
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 to 2 slices fresh habanero pepper, seeded
Combine strawberries and golden berries in a medium saucepan and heat on medium-high. Add 1 or 2 tablespoons water to pan to prevent burning. Cook and stir berries until they begin to caramelize, about 3 minutes. Add ¾ cup water and sugar to pan. Stir and bring to a boil. Add 1 or 2 two slices habanera to pan. Cover and let steep 15 minutes off heat. Cool and strain. Store covered in the refrigerator. Can be made 3 days in advance.